8.05.2010

Get thee out, Satan! (aka: Pizza and Cake)

We all have our crosses to bear. Unfortunately, mine comes covered in cheese and cut into eight delicious slices. We are having a farewell party for a co-worker (who I shall refer to as Dr. Unmentionable), and being served at this party are delicious slices of ooey, gooey, cheesy pizza. Since this is only the third day I have been writing in this blog, you have not heard about the past shenanigans of Dr. Unmentionable, therefore you might not feel the same sort of glee at the idea of her departure. I have been her assistant for approximately 3 ½ years, the first 2 ½ of which she was only in for about an hour a day. You might think that is the ideal situation (I assist about 10 doctors and 40 other staff members, so it wasn't all cake), however, the hour she was there was usually unadulterated suckieness. Whenever there was a grant due, she would drag her feet, not send me the information I needed, and then invariably I was left sitting at my desk pounding away furiously at my keyboard, while glancing anxiously at the clock in hopes that I would be able to finish the administrative part on time. Government grants are due at 5pm local time, so when she would hand me everything at 2pm (as she was telling me she was going home) I was usually already in a cold sweat. These are things that I will not miss at all. I found it interesting that in her very last act here she will be screwing up my calorie count. I spent a while this morning juggling my calories in an attempt to make room for lunch. You see, I would not have gone at all if it had not been made very clear to me by the administration that I was expected to attend and eat the lunch that was served (when I suggested that I would just bring my own lunch). So I am going and I will be eating pizza and a slice of cake to commemorate her departure.

I was very happy, I must say, to find out that with proper planning I had room in my day for both a slice of pizza and a piece of cake. While I don't really care for artificial sweeteners I will stick to the diet soda to assist in the calorie reduction. I know there will be salad, but it is the kind that comes pre-dressed so I will be very careful to limit the intake on it. I looked online to find the nutritional information beforehand so that I could enter it into www.caloriecount.about.com and judge the amount that I could afford to eat. Just an FYI, that delicious Grand Parisian salad mix from Costco is 140 calories per serving with 11 grams of total fat. One serving is 2 ½ cups, so I am cutting the serving in half. I will make it up with undressed salad at dinner tonight. I have to stand by my initial thought that life is much easier when you plan all of your food out ahead of time. I know that I have a meeting tonight and that the host generally likes to prepare food, but I want a piece of cake this afternoon so I will be saying no to treats. I will eat a healthy dinner at home after I take Baby Bear Slippers to swimming lessons, and then head to my meeting afterward on a full stomach. I am sorry, I just ate! I have no room for peanut butter chocolate Chex Mix.

The hard thing about today is that I had to get up very early this morning, and ate breakfast before 6am. This means that I am very grumbley in my tumbley right now. I had a banana for a snack to help tide me over until the pizza gets here, but usually about this time of day I would eat a handful of nuts which would greatly help to satiate my hunger. Because of all the calories at lunch I cannot afford the extra calories, so I must abstain from the nuts today. I just really wish that I had some gum to chew to help keep my mind off of pizza for the next hour. It is hard when you have your meals scheduled around someone else's timeframe, and are therefore unable to dictate the time of your own lunch!

Lastly, I have lost yet another pound today. I am down to 201.5. Yippee for me!


 

F. Bear Slippers

No comments: